An online gathering as we launch resources to help you plan your Sanctuary Sunday Services.
Date: Wednesday 10th May 2023
Location: Zoom (details will be sent out to all registered attendees)
Register on Eventbrite here
On 25 June 2023, churches across Scotland and worldwide will be marking Sanctuary Sunday. There are more displaced people in the world today than at any other point in history and so it’s all the more important to remind ourselves of God’s loving concern for the stranger and refugee as seen throughout scripture.
Scottish Faiths Action for Refugees are launching a resource pack for churches to help you mark Sanctuary Sunday in your congregations. The pack contains:
- Reflections and sermon ideas based on the story of Hagar from Genesis 21
- Creative prayer exercises inspired by our recent Journeying with New Scots conference
- Discussion starters based on the new Faithful Welcome videos
- Stories from the lives of refugees and people seeking asylum
- Activities that introduce children to issues facing those seeking sanctuary in an age- appropriate way
At our online launch we will be unpacking the resource, hearing more from churches involved in supporting New Scots, and exploring how we can engage our wider congregations in this work. This event and the Resource Pack being launched are designed to be practical and accessible to churches of all Christian traditions.
Celebrating Sanctuary Sunday is a valuable opportunity to express our prayers and solidarity with refugees, but also to raise awareness again of our Christian calling to welcome the stranger and do this openly and proudly. Come to our online event to be equipped and encouraged.