When we were set up all of the groups involved in Scottish Faiths Action for Refugees agreed the following aims:
- Advise members of faith communities in Scotland on practical, societal and ethical issues relating to refugees and asylum seekers;
- Support and encourage faith-based humanitarian and advocacy efforts to promote the welfare of refugees and asylum seekers, and propose and co-ordinate joint initiatives;
- Challenge rhetoric in politics and the media which demeans refuges and asylum seekers or which seeks to exploit their vulnerability;
- Develop projects to assist with refugee and asylum seeker integration in Scotland;
- Encourage deeper interfaith working amongst Scotland’s faith communities and stronger ecumenical relations amongst churches in Scotland.
- Develop a longer term strategy to support the engagement of Scottish faith communities with asylum seekers and refugees over the next generation.